Thank you Sharks - kids, parents, coaches and the Snowy ghost.  Yet again, we barely noticed our umpire - David Snow - as for another week, he managed the flow of the game perfectly.  It was another great week of football in front of an even bigger crowd, many being our younger Sharks kids as they enjoyed kicking the footy on the sidelines and on the Junior oval. Everyone is welcome, so come and join in the fun and watch some great footy action!

Check out your kids in action
- over 400+ incredible action shots

In Game 1, the marauding Makos took on the tantalising Tigers.  The Tiges welcomed back big Max Absalom and it was great to see the young lad flying high at the first bounce.  It was the Makos who got the perfect start though with Luke Berridge slotting an amazing checkside kick from the pocket after a Jacob Naismith pass - it was a cracker and got the crowd cheering early.   This was a really congested game with lots of fierce tackling and courageous smothers - almost all the players could be mentioned but Ash Snow, Henry Baker, Felix Katsaros and Tom Hosking all contributed memorable 1%ers. Stirling Keogh was one of the few able to break from the packs and his first half run down the CTE wing at blistering pace was fantastic but he couldn’t quite finish with the goal.  After half time, the Makos continued their ferocious tackling, with 3 great tackles in a row forcing a turnover.  Lachie Talbot nailed two for the Tigers but goals from Dylan Mills, Harvey Brown (after a screamer in the goal square), Seb Rogers and Jacob Naismith got the Makos home.
In Game 2, the Makos were hunting for 4 in a row and took it right up to the heroic Hammerheads.  Brayden Hope laid an amazing tackle on James Twine, whilst Dylan Mills was busy at the bottom of the packs. The contest between Jacob Davies and Hunter Barnes for the ball in the Makos' forward pocket was inspiring.  Cody Head was busy and slotted a nice goal but the Makos held the slenderest of leads at the break. On resumption, Kyle Davies' presence in the ruck led to a series of wonderful centre breaks for the Hammerheads.  Isaiah Davies set shot for goal fell short but with tremendous follow up, ran to the pack where the kick landed, re-gathered the ball and snapped across his body for the goal – great second effort.  Lachlan Pollock was tremendous all game with his contests and pulled in a superb 1 hand mark.  Jamie Hope’s run and kicking skills were instrumental in turning the game the Hammerheads' way.

In Game 3, the Tiges came out firing after another inspired Talbot Talk.  4 goals 3 was by far the biggest half time score on the day, with a delightful  goal from Hayden Gray, after crumbing his own marking effort, being the highlight. Stirling Keogh had the big crowd roaring with delight by running backwards with the flight of the ball and hanging on for a great mark - maybe the best so far this season.  It was only a Hammerhead goal on the siren that kept them in the contest. After half time, it was hammer time again, with tremendous defensive efforts from Jared Brown, Raff Noble-Harker and Nick Pagewood complementing the Hammers' typical midfield dash and a 6 goal to nil second half saw the Hammers come out on top for the day.  Jared Brown and Ethan Rogers were particularly damaging whilst Caleb Woodward and Liam Phelan were typically creative and courageous for the Tiges.  Rumours assigned blame for the Tiger demise  at the feet of Coach Talbot, who may have been preoccupied by the loss of his yellow and black clipboard (and the precious Tigers' playbook? - could the Hammers have a secret agent in the Tiges' camp?) However, the clearest reason was the running power and link play of the Hammerheads, leading to some lovely long goals.
Missing clipboards aside, the excitement is definitely building as we count down to the finals on 29 August and it is neck and neck for that coveted top spot (and automatic Grand Final berth).  To remind you just how even and exciting this competition has been, across 4 rounds so far, the kids have kicked 106 goals in 240 mins (a goal every 2 mins) - with the Hammerheads & Makos kicking  36 apiece and the Tigers 34.  With one qualifying round (2 games each) to go, the ladder could go anyway from here with the Hammerheads 1 game clear of the Makos, who are 1 game clear of the Tigers.  Conceivably, this time next week, all teams could be on the same wins and only percentage will separate final standings.  How good is that!

Don’t forget to follow the Singapore Sharks on Facebook and check out the pictures on Sharks Flickr here -

Singapore Sharks Football Club © 2018. All rights reserved.